School Based Oral Health Work Group meeting minutes
April 29, 2013
4-5 PM Eastern
- Laura Hancock Jones- UK Dental Outreach Program in Western KY, KOHC Chair
- Linda Poynter- Northern KY Health Department, N. KY. Oral Health Program, KOHC Vice Chair
- Beth Lange- Newport Independent Schools, Newport Intermediate FRC Coordinator
- Mandy Ashley- Sky Pediatric Dentistry, Pediatric Dentist
- Kelley Dearing Smith- Louisville Water/Smile Kentucky
- Julie McKee- Kentucky Department of Public Health ,State Dental Health Director
- Ashley Spotila- Coventry Cares of Kentucky, Outreach Coordinator
- Susan Rostov- Kentucky Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, Executive Director
- Mike Mansfield- U of L School of Dentistry
- Tara Grieshop Goodwin- Kentucky Youth Advocates
- Mahak Kalra- Kentucky Youth Advocates
- We have learned that we received the grant to focus on oral health literacy from the Dentaquest Foundation!
- Those who are interested, please attend our oral health literacy work team on May 13th.
KOHC Annual Oral Health Meeting Ideas
- SAVE THE DATE: JULY 26th we will have our KOHC Annual Oral health meeting.
- We are looking into using the Foundation for a Healthy Kentucky new facility in Louisville as our meeting location.
- Marcy Frosh from Children’s Dental Health Project is willing to come to discuss their policy tool.
- If you have any ideas on who to invite, please send the organization’s contact information to Tara or myself!
Update on uniform standards for public health dental hygienists
- Lots of concerns from the Board of Dentistry as protocols are being developed.
- This will be a topic for discussion at the May 11th board meeting.
- Kentucky Spirit is not paying nurses.
- Public Health dental hygienists are getting payment through their salary but the billing is done through a dental provider.
- As a coalition, we need to be proactive!
- We need to identify people who can be advocates for this.
Update on Mobile Dental Clinics
- Kentucky Board of Dentistry is okay with mobile clinics as long as clinics are providing treatment.
- Mobile health units must be licensed to treat in Kentucky.
- Laura mentioned having providing information on the quality of various mobile dental clinics
- Laura has materials from Massachusetts about the work they do.
- As a coalition we can possibly create materials to address what services to look for, tips, and questions to ask to share with schools, parents and providers.
- Susan can check with oral surgeons in her office to see if they have questions.
- It’s important to establish a dental home to improve abandonment of care.
2013 National School-Based Health Care Convention is June 23-26 in Washington, D.C.