It’s open enrollment season, and kynect is back to help Kentuckians find affordable healthcare plans! Kynect is Kentucky’s state-based healthcare and family support marketplace, where Kentuckians can browse for affordable health insurance plans and apply for family support programs, such as child care, health care, and food assistance.
Medicaid and the Kentucky Children’s Health Insurance Program (KCHIP) provide free or low-cost health coverage to low-income Kentucky families, pregnant women, and children in foster care. This coverage provides Kentuckians access to receive routine health care services and care when they are sick including:
- Medical care, including for chronic conditions like asthma and diabetes
- Vision exams and vision wear
- Substance use treatment, such as detox and outpatient services
- Mental health treatment and counseling
- Dental coverage
Kentuckians can enroll in health coverage through kynect between November 1, 2021 and January 15, 2022; however, families have been able to browse available plans since October 15th.
Kynect is expected to save Kentuckians $15 million a year in health care costs. For example, a family of four with a household income of $60,000 can save $221 per month in addition to their children being eligible for K-CHIP. More examples of the savings available on kynect can be found here.
In addition to health insurance, Kentucky families can explore resources in their area and apply for family support programs through kynect. The resource page helps Kentuckians locate not-for-profit resources close to them, such as food pantries and Legal Aid programs. On the benefits page, qualifying families can apply for family support programs such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as food stamps), Medicaid, child care assistance, Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (KTAP), and more!
Free help is available to Kentuckians applying for health insurance between November 1 and January 15 through kynect:
- Health coverage assistance (Medicaid, Kentucky Children’s Health Insurance Program, Qualified Health Plan with payment assistance): kynect.ky.gov/benefits/
- Kynectors, insurance agents and authorized representatives: kynect.ky.gov/benefits/s/auth-reps-assisters/
- State Health Insurance Assistance Program: www.shiphelp.org/
- Kentucky Department of Insurance: insurance.ky.gov/ppc/new_default.aspx
- Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) plans: www.healthcare.gov/small-businesses/choose-and-enroll/qualify-for-shop-marketplace/
Additionally, the Kentucky Health Benefit Exchange has released the following resources for Kynectors to use during this Open Enrollment season.
Important dates to remember:
Medicare Open Enrollment: October 15 through December 7, 2021
Medicaid Open Enrollment: October 15 through December 1, 2021
Marketplace Open Enrollment: November 1, 2021 through January 15, 2021