Children’s Advocacy Day at the Capitol began in 2004 as an effort to unite advocates from across the state to raise their voices on behalf of children’s safety, health, education and economic well-being. Hundreds of advocates from over 50 counties now gather at the Capitol in Frankfort every year to ask legislators to invest in kids. The 11th Annual Children’s Advocacy Day will be Thursday, February 5, 2015. In 2014 more than 600 advocates attended the event in Frankfort! Elected officials, social workers, parents, teachers, judges, doctors, public health experts, therapists, members of the military, seniors, and kids came together to rally on children’s issues from Blueprint for Kentucky’s Children agenda.
Join us for 11th Annual Children’s Advocacy Day on Thursday, February 5, 2015!
Registration begins at 9:00 AM, followed by a rally at 10:00 AM, and Blueprint for Kentucky’s Children information mini-seminars at 11:30 AM. Just so we have an idea of how many people to expect, please RSVP for CAD here. (We would love for your group to join us! One person can RSVP for the entire group with an estimate of how many will attend.) And please plan to meet with your legislators to discuss how you want them to support Kentucky children. Steps to prepare to meet with legislators:
- Check out the Blueprint for Kentucky’s Children webpage to learn more about the issues facing Kentucky’s children during the 2015 legislative session.
- Make an appointment to visit with your legislators. Please do not wait until the day you arrive to try to get an appointment. You may want to become familiar with your legislator’s picture so you can pick them out. Visit the Legislative Research Commission website to learn who represents you. Call 502-564-8100 to schedule an appointment.
Read the 2015 Children’s Advocacy Day resource booklet here.
Children’s Advocacy Day Agenda
9:00 AM Registration begins
10:00 AM Rally for Kentucky Kids
11:30 AM-1:30 PM Blueprint for Kentucky’s Children Mini-Seminars
- 11:30 AM-12:00 PM: Require training for educators on the prevention and recognition of child abuse
- 12:00 PM-12:30 PM: Extend protective orders to victims of dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking
- 12:30 PM-1:00 PM: Enact a statewide, comprehensive indoor smoke-free law
- 1:00 PM-1:30 PM: Prioritize early learning to ensure a strong start in life
Until 2:30 PM View the “Kentucky Kids Need…” art and essay project in the tunnel
Sponsor Children’s Advocacy Day
Sponsoring organizations’ logos will appear on all printed materials and on our website. Your sponsorship of $250 or $500 helps cover the costs of educational materials for participants and allows youth and adults from across the state to become stronger advocates for children in Kentucky. Learn more and sign up here. Questions about sponsorships? Contact Jessie Whitish firstname.lastname@example.org or 502-895-8167, x. 121.